Thursday, July 30, 2009

Still waiting...


Maggie's temperature today was 100.0 so she does not seem to be ready yet. She is being a stinker by going under the deck and digging around...she gets all dirty, but she comes out smiling! I need to watch her closely so that she does not decide that that is a good place to have the kids! She was playing ball today and is relaxed and settled. I am guessing that the second of the two breedings was closer to ovulation so that would make her due date sometime in the next day or two. Sometimes I use progesterone testing while my girls are in heat to pinpoint ovulation and the exact time we should breed. But, it is not really necessary when we are doing a natural breeding because the girls usually ovulate around the 12th to 14th day after they start to bleed. I use progesterone testing when we do artificial insemination and when I absolutely do not want to miss a girl's ovulation. Usually, but not always, the girl shows she is ready by "flagging" which means she moves her tail to the side often. The males seem to know when the girl is ovulating, too. They often won't show much interest when the girl is not ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment