Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It's dew claw removal day...

The puppies are going in to have their dew claws removed this afternoon. Many breeders are opting not to do this procedure anymore, but I still feel that it is a minor procedure at this age. If it is done when they are older, it is a painful procedure that requires time for the dog to recuperate and heal. Some dogs use their dew claws like thumbs if they are used for hunting or in agility. But, the risk of tearing the dew claw is higher than the possible need for a thumb. Trends are changing and the Veterinary Assn. does not promote tail docking or ear cropping any longer. I don't think they will make the same decision about dew claws because of the possibility of injury from them.
The procedure takes just a couple of minutes and they don't get any stitches from the vet I use. There is no bleeding and they heal in a couple of days. They do cry when they are removed, so Maggie and I will wait in the car together. She would be upset hearing her babies crying...me, too...! Even though I am a nurse myself, the pups are like my own kids and it is hard for me to see them have pain, even if it is for a minute...I have no problems giving shots or placing microchips because I am fast and they rarely even notice that I did anything. The vet always asks me if I want to watch them remove the dew claws...I always say, "no, thanks" and head out to the car with Maggie...

No comments:

Post a Comment