Monday, August 3, 2009

What we have been doing today...

At one day of age the pups eat and sleep...they cannot see or hear. They crawl around searching for their mom or siblings or the warmest area in the whelping pen. They are not able to shiver for a few weeks so the pups need to stay in a warm environment. I use a heating pad (set on low) under a towel or thin blanket and I also have an overhead heat lamp. I don't keep the heat lamp on all the time because Maggie gets too hot.
Maggie keeps busy licking the pups to clean them. The pups cannot poop or tinkle on their own for a few weeks so Maggie cleans them and stimulates them to go.
Their umbilical cords are drying up and will fall off the next day or two. Maggie is very protective of her babies at this age. She barks loudly if a stranger walks by the den door or if the doorbell rings. It is sometimes hard to get her to leave the pups to go outside to potty. She had two retained placentss, not uncommon, so she has a lot of discharge. Having her go outside gives me a chance to rinse her bottom, tail, and hind legs off. I also hurry to change the pads in the whelping box. Maggie is very anxious to get back in with her puppies so she whines at me to hurry up! Her appetite is pretty good. With osme previous litters, she has not wanted to eat much after delivery. She needs to eat and drink to produce a lot of milk for her babies. She is readily eating some canned dog food and a "shake" that has goat's milk, vitamins, cod liver oil, molasses, and eggs in it. She needs calcium-rich foods to help avoid eclampsia. I give her a couple of Tums every day, too, for the calcium.
I keep a close eye on Maggie and the puppies. Our whelping box has a rail all around which is about 6" high. It gives the pups a place to go without the risk of being laid on accidentally. I still count the pups often and make sure they are not stuck in a strange place or under a blanket. I did not sleep well at all last night because Maggie was fussing a bit with the squeaky babies so I kept getting up to check on them. I usually sleep on the couch near the puppy room (den) for the first few weeks because I want to be able to hear the pups if they're crying for some reason. I also have a baby monitor in my bedroom so that I can hear the puppies as they get older.
More news later!

No comments:

Post a Comment